The Boy was getting out of the car tonight inside the garage and I was outside in the driveway. I thought I was about to give him a lesson in life and death, as I ran over a bird in the driveway and I was sure he was going to have lots of questions (am I morbid or what?!). Instead, I got a lesson from him.
As I was telling him to come outside, he said, "Look mommy, there's a snake!" I told him that there wasn't a snake and come outside but he was adamant. So I went in there, expecting to see a twig or a straw and I'll be damned if it wasn't a real baby snake in our garage! I'm totally creeped out by this. So we put the tiny snake in a bottle (well, "we" didn't; the husband did... with tongs...like a REAL man) and took it over to our neighbor whom we consider to be The All Knowing Being Of All Things Outdoors. What I wanted to know was: is it poisonous? but instead she says "Where there's a baby, there's a mom. And baby snakes come in batches of 6 or 7." Say WHAT?!?!?! A MOMMY SNAKE and MORE baby snakes? I'm going to have nightmares about this one.
The good news is that it's not poisonous, so neither is it's mommy. The other good news is that we released it. Even creepy little snakes get a second chance around us. If you care to know more about the Southern Ringneck Snake, as it's called, check out this link: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology/fl-guide/Diadophisppunctatus.htm
What's up with Our Oldest?
18 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment