Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Aspires to Mediocrity.

I'm not certain if I'm a competitive person or not. I've never been very good at sports, and when I do play a game, I really don't care when I lose (unless it's Christmas and I'm playing Scrabble with my mother and sister who just hate to lose). I always like to be smarter than the next guy though or have nicer purses. I don't know if this is good or bad, and I also don't know if it's affecting my parenting. The husband, well, I think he likes to win in the sports arena, but he doesn't care about the smarts (this is what he gets for not reading the blog often). So, from a bird's eye perspective, I guess you could say we're a family who aspires to be mediocre generally; which is actually okay by me. I never have to worry about keeping up with the Jones' for the most part.

I saw this in my son yesterday when we were playing baseball. I pitched the ball, he swung and missed. I pitched the ball, he swung and missed. This went on and on, until about the 20th time when, I'll be damned if he didn't nail that sucker and it flew off the bat like a bird creaming our picture window. He was so excited (no more so than I) and he took off running in circles, with his pointing finger pointing to the sky, yelling "I'M NUMBER TWO! I'M NUMBER TWO!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. Don't you wonder where kids come up with some of this stuff?

Cute story.

Susu1579 said...

He never ceases to amaze me in how he's got life "figured out".